Thursday, March 12, 2015

Why I think GROSS guys are divine

There have been few times in my life that I have felt as unattractive as the times I was pregnant.  I gain a lot of weight (around 65 pounds with each pregnancy!) and I feel icky and I don't work out and I break out.

It's bad.

During each of those times, my husband told me over and over that I was beautiful.  He was very good about always making sure I knew he loved me and that I was not disgusting.  I didn't always believe him, but it was sweet that he tried.

My husband is not gross at all.  Not in any way.  (Okay he does get really sweaty when he works out, but I am going to give him a pass on that.)  I absolutely adore my husband.  And it's okay that I like GROSS guys, too.

I will never forget the first gross guy I really appreciated.  I was about five and a half months pregnant with Dora.  (My second child) and if you ever knew me pregnant, you would know that I carry strange and lots of people still ask me during my fifth month whether I am pregnant.  I am convinced it's because I gain so much weight, that I just look fat, not pregnant!  But in any case, I was standing in front of the magazine aisle at Wal-Mart looking for a car magazine, or a woodworking magazine for my husband as a small surprise.  (We were on a tight budget!)  This gross guy walked up and started chatting with me.  At first, I thought, "This is weird.  Why is this guy spending so much time talking to me?"

Then it dawned on me: he was hitting on me!

I immediately blurted out, "I am happily married!"  I spared him the embarrassment of pointing out that I was also pregnant.  But when I left Wal-Mart, I had a smile on my face.  I might have gained lots of weight.  I might have been wearing my big old baggy, ratty CAMOUFLAGE maternity pants and a huge t-shirt.  My hair and makeup might not have been done, but this guy thought I was attractive enough to hit on me.

In the years since my Wal-Mart encounter, I have had gas station attendants (frequently for some reason!), grocery store checkers, and lots of random strangers tell me I am lovely or ask me if I'd like to go out with them.  I am never, ever interested, but I am almost always flattered.  I assume most women will chime in here and tell me it's awful that I feel this way, but if I'm being honest, I like it when the guys with no chance give it a try.  It helps to know that even if I am already committed for life to the best guy in the world, someone who isn't obligated to say so thinks I look nice. :-)

(Caveat: I do not appreciate, nor do I approve of any lewd behavior or language.  I am talking about guys who are just trying to get some attention in a non-disgusting, derogatory or threatening way).

When is the last time someone gross made your day?

No comments:

Post a Comment