Monday, March 23, 2020

How to make a face mask for your local ER, EMS or for yourself

My husband is the medical director (and an ER doc) for a rural hospital. Many ERs around the world are overtaxed right now, and they don’t have enough PPE. (Personal Protective Equipment). They are wearing masks non-stop, but they are only getting one disposable N95 mask to use for the duration and one (non-N95) disposable mask per day. My husband got a basket of handmade masks dropped off last week and it boosted morale. But... they didn’t all fit quite right and they used elastic over the ears. That has fit issues and it also bothers their ears in a rather short period of time. So, I posted a Facebook post with some tips. A bunch of people asked for me to do a pattern of the masks we are making.

I am not an expert. I am not a seamstress. My mom sews quite often. I am doing the best I can and trying to help. Your local ER is giving out masks to everyone who checks in—and the mask shortage may only exacerbate. But a lot of people want to help. So I hope this helps. Here are our steps.

Please keep in mind that multiple sizes of mask is super helpful. My hubby is large. Others are larger. Many many are smaller. And there are a variety of ways to do this-and many other patterns. Here’s ours but don’t think it means yours won’t be helpful!

Materials list:
Pins (flat pins for sewing)
Sewing machine and thread
Bias tape (or fabric strips!)
Cotton fabric (or something that holds up to washing)
A filter of some kind (we used washable coffee filters. I’ve heard vacuum bags are awesome and close to N95!)
Scissors
Iron and board if possible
Measuring tape
Wire/twist ties/pipe cleaners/tomato wire

Okay step one: cut the main mask fabric. We cut in 8.5x14.5” rectangles. We used cotton fabric. You could use anything that washes well. Also. I’d recommend making some an inch bigger on all sides and some an inch smaller all around. We varied our sizes some so that docs and nurses and EMS personnel can find some that fit their face. :)


Step two: optional nose piece. One of the issues is that masks need to fit tightly around the face to be effective. I’ve heard people use twist ties and pipe cleaners, and I bet they work fine! But we had a bunch of tomato twisting wire we got at the dollar store. We cut them in 7” strips and doubled it over. Then we sewed a 4” strip of bias tape along the inside of the back of the fabric square along the crease. I think the videos show it much better than I am explaining it.




Step Three:  After you make the nose piece, you will need to pause to do the straps that will tie the mask. We had bias tape and it is super easy and makes great ties. I took the double and sewed it, the single and sewed and folded it over, etc. then my daughter cut it into 16” ties. You need four per mask.



Step four: after the nose piece and strings are done, you get to do the hard step. We integrate the coffee filter and strings to the mask here. So we take the filter and put it on the bottom. Then we line up and pin the ties into the corners. And you sew around it all, backstitching over the straps or ties and leaving a 3” space at the bottom to turn it inside out. Here you can use a coffee filter, or a double piece of fabric, or a vacuum bag. Whatever you have that works. Make sure the person you donate to knows the material and whether it’s washable. If it’s not, you’d need to engineer a pocket. :)


Step five: trim the coffee filter and turn it inside out.



Step six: sew around the whole mask, backstitching over straps



Step seven: pleat and sew pleats



And done!


10 comments:

  1. Great job. Plus something to do that everyone feels good about! Thank you. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - thank you for this. I have floral wire to sew into the bias tape to form the mask around the nose. But have heard that this means they cannot be washed. Is that true?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi - thank you for this. I have floral wire to sew into the bias tape to form the mask around the nose. But have heard that this means they cannot be washed. Is that true?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi - thank you for this. I have floral wire to sew into the bias tape to form the mask around the nose. But have heard that this means they cannot be washed. Is that true?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about floral wire. We have washed our masks dozens of times with the coated tomato wire and they have been fine.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this information! Those are quite large coffee filters, what size are they? Are they restaurant size coffee filters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! They were donated by a local chick fil a!

      Delete
  6. What are washable coffee filters? Can you share what kind you used? I've never heard of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry. Somehow I didn't see these. Ours seemed like cloth and were donated by our local chick fil a. I am not sure if maybe that's not typical. I don't drink coffee myself. Sorry to be of no help there.

      Delete
  7. Such a layered fabric construction contributes to the mask’s particle filtering efficiency and a generally better design. N95

    ReplyDelete